Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A year in review

Well as we have hit our year mark here I figure it is a good time to post this picture. I've been putting off writing this because quite frankly I'm not sure how to recap the last year.

Every new move brings challenges, getting use to a new life and fun things to do and see. It is really like every few years we start all over, reinvent ourselves and carry on. One thing I've learned is life really does keep moving day by day. Days turn into months and then a year goes by. Even if at times it feels like time is moving rather slow before you know it, the day,week, month is over. I chalk it up to growing older.

It has been a good place for the kids. Here are some things they've done in the last year.
Cody was voted as one of the 2 in his class to be on what we would call student council, he has done a term of karate, started as a lone cub scout but tags along with the boy scouts group, hiked Ayers Rock, gone caving, gone on a  10 kms bike ride, discovered he enjoys the bike jumps near our house, learned all his multiplication tables (in 3rd grade), gotten baptized



Keeley has had a lot of opportunity to dance. The school here does a great job of including dance and music in their curriculum. She has joined school pop dances for assemblies but has also been part of two dance groups that performed on stage one being a duet with a friend.
She is taking flute lessons at school as well, she is at the top of her 5th grade class and loves to write, dance, sing, read and play with her friends. She took a term of field hockey, held a baby crocodile,  is becoming a good baker so that I can hand her a recipe and she'll make it (if she wants to) and a good masseuse.  She earned money for her own American girl doll by giving her family massages.


Hyrum has become rather grown up in the last year. He has been part of a season of baseball, moved up in rank to Star for Boy Scouts, went on a youth/branch temple trip to Sydney, became Deacon's quorum president, gotten A's and B's in school including Japanese, enjoyed game developing in after school program.



Brent goes to work, scouts,  and spends too much time on the computer watching Youtube and reading the news.    He throws the ball with Cody and goes on bike rides with the boys.  He isn't intelligent enough to realize that he is getting too old to do most of the things he does with the scouts.  (By the way,  Brent wrote this, not me)


And me well I've had a lot of time to work online for my 4 websites, I'm working on publishing children's books via Kindle, watched a lot of tv shows via the kindle and itunes. Obviously I need to get out more and exercise more in the next year as that has been lacking. I've become RS president for our branch and realized how much I'm lacking in that area.

When we study a place out we pray that we can move somewhere that is good for our family and it has been good for the kids, they've enjoyed it here, have grown up and learned -that is important but all in all the last year has been a challenge for me and thoroughly enjoyed by everyone else.

But not to end on that note here are the things we all enjoy here:
variety of birds
Carmel bunny
sunshine 300 days a year
big blue sky (like nothing you've seen anywhere else)
lots of stars
our LDS branch
friendships


3 comments:

The Bent Gang said...

Love it Deb!!

rogers creek farm said...

A great summary of your year, and a great chance to see how much everyone has changed/grown, including the adults. Our transient lifestyle really does give reason for pause on a regular basis so that we have the opportunity to improve our strong points, but most importantly to know where we need to focus our attention in improvement of the weak points!
Thanks for sharing your year in review!

Cindy said...

A few years from now, I think you'll find that Australia was a good place for you as well, just in very different ways. Looking back you may see that you've been strengthened through your time there. Trials are never easy but can bless us in the end. :)