This Christmas year I'm trying to teach my kids more about giving service then the give me, give me, give me outlook that Christmas can bring. So I'm looking for opportunities to involve them in reaching out to others.
I wanted to keep track of our journey here and hopefully start a new tradition this year:
The whole family sewed fleece hats and cut out fleece scarfs to give to a shelter for kids who live in the mountains where it gets cold. I sewed 6 blankets to give to them as well. (this was a great bonus for me as I cleaned out my sewing cabinet in preparation to moving this summer- no idea where yet but we'll be moving next summer)
The kids went through their toy closets and cleaned out. My kids really don't play with toys They play legos, knex, read books, play wii, Nintendo, crafty stuff and play outside so this was a major overhaul of toys. We filled 5 paper sacks and a box with toys and games and drove by a nearby shanty town and dropped them off. We called it Operation Toy Drop Off. When they saw us drive up and pull a bag out about 7-8 people came running to the car so excited and exclaiming in excitement.
I had no idea I would be so affected by this but these people who have so little and live basically in cardboard boxes (google shanty town and you will get a look at the housing) they were so excited to get our cast offs I cried the whole way home. We prayed that the toys would get to some children that would really use them so hopefully they did. Even if they sell them in the medina for cash I guess that is what they needed.
I cleaned out my pantry and gave my housekeeper cannery cans of soup mix and dried beans that we won't eat but she is very grateful for.
Next big project is to buy things for an orphanage that the Utah national guard helps out with here.
Stay tuned for more Service projects as we find them this Christmas season.
Happy Holidays!
I wanted to keep track of our journey here and hopefully start a new tradition this year:
The whole family sewed fleece hats and cut out fleece scarfs to give to a shelter for kids who live in the mountains where it gets cold. I sewed 6 blankets to give to them as well. (this was a great bonus for me as I cleaned out my sewing cabinet in preparation to moving this summer- no idea where yet but we'll be moving next summer)
The kids went through their toy closets and cleaned out. My kids really don't play with toys They play legos, knex, read books, play wii, Nintendo, crafty stuff and play outside so this was a major overhaul of toys. We filled 5 paper sacks and a box with toys and games and drove by a nearby shanty town and dropped them off. We called it Operation Toy Drop Off. When they saw us drive up and pull a bag out about 7-8 people came running to the car so excited and exclaiming in excitement.
I had no idea I would be so affected by this but these people who have so little and live basically in cardboard boxes (google shanty town and you will get a look at the housing) they were so excited to get our cast offs I cried the whole way home. We prayed that the toys would get to some children that would really use them so hopefully they did. Even if they sell them in the medina for cash I guess that is what they needed.
I cleaned out my pantry and gave my housekeeper cannery cans of soup mix and dried beans that we won't eat but she is very grateful for.
Next big project is to buy things for an orphanage that the Utah national guard helps out with here.
Stay tuned for more Service projects as we find them this Christmas season.
Happy Holidays!

3 comments:
What a great Christmas gift to others.
That is such a great idea! And what a great way to spend the season!
I love this....
Post a Comment