Friday, January 14, 2011

Tagine Cooking

So what do you cook in those tagines? They are like crock pots on the stove kind of. Place your meat and vegetables, seasonings and place the lid on. Cook for a an hour or two. I've had a few Moroccan variations now and believe it or not my favorite is the onion and raisins one. It turns out really sweet even the onions are good.
lamb, carrots, parsnips, peas, tomatoes

meat,onions, golden raisins

meat, parsnips, zucchini, carrots

chicken, potatoes, carrots, zucchini and lots of pepper












One of these days I'll actually use it myself ,too. Yea, I didn't make any of these!

I'm posting my friend Heather's recipe here for my future use:
Lamb or other meat Tajine
Ingredients:
1 pound of lamb tender meat or lamb shoulder chops (or other meat)
1 large onion grated
5 Oz of raisins (soaked in water)
...4 Tablespoons of butter
2 Tablespoons of honey
1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
1/4 teaspoon of pepper (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
A large pinch of saffron
A pinch of turmeric powder
water
1- On medium heat, add the butter, the grated onion, the meat, and the spices. Mix well, cover your pan and let the meat cook for 5 minutes.

2- Cover the meat with water. Cover the pan and let the meat cook for the next 45 minutes to 1 hour.

5- When the meat is almost cooked, drain the raisins from their water and add them to the sauce...pan. Add the honey.
6- Add a little more water to the meat and raisins if needed.
7- Cover the pan and let the meat and raisins cook for the next 15 minutes.
Serve

Note: To serve the Mrouzia, put the meat first on the plate, cover it with the raisins. Enjoy!
 
 

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I want your cook!!!

erinannie said...

I can't wait for you to teach me how to do all of this in a few months!