Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A trip to the commissary

Well this month at our house we have cut out sugar. Do you realize how many things have sugar in them? We've upped the vegetable and fruit intake, don't eat anything after dinner, don't eat anything with sugar and Sunday is our free eating day. I've been using whole wheat flour in place of white flour, brown rice for white rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.

It is just a lifestyle change we've decided to make for a healthier life. Losing a few pounds is a bonus but mostly we're trying to be healthier.

Well today I went to the commissary, I usually avoid this and have Brent get whatever I may need. Oh the sour cream and onion chips were calling my name, Cody was begging for candy, the frozen pizza in the freezer was even beckoning to me. So what did I buy today:
dill pickles
canned pumpkin
organic peanut butter
pretzels
Quaker cereal

I'm a little proud the chips or m&m's didn't come home with us but Brent may have to pick up some for Sunday's free eating day. However God Bless all of you who have to shop with all that every week. No wonder it is hard for American's to make good healthy choices if it is so abundant.

It is just amazing how much junk is available and how bad it really is for us, yet we just crave it. A lifetime of bad habits I suppose. We've had a few realizations about ourselves like I just have no business eating M&M's or chocolate chip cookies. And Brent has no business eating Nilla wafers or any cookies. We just can't even go there!

We'll keep you posted how it goes.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You guys are amazing, seriously! We've been making some major changes at our house, too. Not as major as yours, though, but major for us. We just really want a healthy family, too! Good luck!

Oh, we LOVED the quotes from your kids. They were too funny!

gramjo said...

Hurray;I'm trying to be better too;must be on the same wave length.